- Medium flavour
- Low to medium oil content
- Medium to firm texture
- Translucent when raw and white to pink with pinkish bands when cooked
- Grill / Barbecue
- Hot Pot
- Stir fry
- Steam / Poach
Other Important Notes:
- SIZE GRADING: U/6, 6/8, U/10, 9/12, 13/15 & 16/20 Pcs/Lb
- These are the most popular prawn, due no doubt to their rich flavour and moist flesh. A healthy, tasty & enjoyable alternative.
- King prawns present well – raw or cooked.
- Extremely versatile and excellent for display purposes.
Photos of Cooked and Raw Prawns
Heath Benefits from Wild Caught Australian Eastern King Prawn
- Eating prawns provides a complete protein, which means it includes all nine amino acids in the right proportion for the body to function properly. In fact, 100 grams of prawns contains about 25 grams of protein, approximately the same as a similar amount of chicken or beef.
- Prawns are extremely low in calories. The same 100 grams of prawns contains only about 115 calories. Chicken contains about twice as much and beef three times as much.
- While prawns contain higher than average amounts of cholesterol, they do not lead to higher cholesterol levels in the body due to their healthy fat profile. This is because they contain almost three times more Omega 3 Fatty Acid than they do Omega 6 Fatty Acid. Studies have shown that foods with high amounts of Omega 3 are associated with reduced risk of heart attacks and lower blood pressure. In fact, the cholesterol contained in prawns is vital for a healthy diet.
- Prawns are a great source of Vitamins B-6, B-12 and Niacin, which help the body produce energy, build muscle and replenish red blood cells.
- Prawns contain significant amounts of iron, a mineral that is essential for the body to effectively distribute oxygen. And because it is in only a few types of food, iron deficiencies that cause severe exhaustion are surprisingly widespread, especially for women.
- Prawns are a rich source of selenium, one of the most effective antioxidants at maintaining healthy cells. They also contain high levels of Zinc, which is important to develop a healthy immune system
- Eating prawns helps build strong bones because they contain phosphorous, copper and magnesium.